It’s that time of year again; time to think about putting in a new deck or re-decking an older deck. It’s a tough choice, but there are many reasons to still build a pressure treated wood deck. A lot of people think that the pressure treated wood deck doesn’t last as long as the newer composite or PVC decking, but it can.
Oftentimes we are called out to re-deck an older wood deck. When this happens the homeowner is typically looking to switch to a composite or PVC decking product so it can last longer and require less maintenance. For these people a composite or PVC decking product might be a good choice, because they didn’t take proper care of the pressure treated wood deck that they had. Simply put, if the frame lasts longer than the deck boards, therefore, making it worthwhile to re-deck and re-use the existing frame, it is often because the deck wasn’t properly cared for. When a pressure treated deck is properly cared for, both the deck boards and the frame should last about the same amount of time.
There is no such thing as a maintenance free deck board. Contaminants in the air will eventually affect all types of deck boards. That’s why it is wise to clean composite or PVC decking once a year or anytime you have a spill of some sort. Pressure treated deck boards require cleaning and sealing with a product made specifically for that purpose. With proper care a pressure treated deck can last a couple of decades or longer.
A few suggestions for annual maintenance (as needed):
– Each spring, inspect boards for excessive wear, splitting or nail pops/loose fasteners.
– Wash the deck with a simple cleaning solution to clean away those contaminants that accelerate ageing.
– Need to reseal? To find out, simply pour a cup of water on the deck boards. If it soaks in immediately, it’s time to reapply water repellant.
– Got a few scratches or stains? Sand if necessary, clean and reapply a little stain or sealer.
– Test railing by pushing to ensure they’re tight and sturdy.
If a pressure treated wood deck is on your list, call Affordable Custom Decks at 757-427-5252. Affordable Custom Decks builds pressure treated wood decks, composite decks, screen porches and pergolas in Virginia Beach, Chesapeake and Norfolk, VA. Additionally, Affordable Custom Decks builds sunrooms, additions, and garages as well as kitchen and bathroom remodels. Our office is at 2505 Horse pasture Road in Virginia Beach. Feel free to stop by our office.